Like a flashback to the 1933 movie classic, King Kong invaded New York City once again. This time King Kong was not a large ape, but the giant among developers that is Adam Fitzgerald, Director of dev2dev at BEA. He took center stage on the first of many performances of the dev2dev TechDays 2007 conference, coming soon to a city near you. I was a witness to this awe inspiring event, and I am here to report on what I saw.
The kick off sessions for dev2dev TechDays 2007 were held this week in Washington D.C and New York City. In both cities the room was packed for the half day seminar on the topic of Enterprise Mashups - confirming that there is a lot of interest in this space. With Adam Fitzgerald (aka Kong) as the primary presenter, I participated as well as Todd Ruhl from Adobe. Here is a recap of the action.
NOTE: this blog entry was originally posted May 3rd, 2007 on my previous blogging system (dev2dev.bea.com).
Just the Facts - the Agenda
dev2dev TechDays is a FREE half-day event explaining how the concept of a Mashup can be successfully applied to the enterprise. The agenda is as follows:
- Defining and Explaining the Benefits of an Enterprise Mashup
- Technologies and Buzzwords in the Mashup Space
- BEA Mashup Enabled Products
- Enterprise Mashups and Enterprise Portals
- BEA Ensemble, the Next Word on Mashing up the Enterprise
- BEA + Flex - a Killer Platform for Enterprise Mashups
Scaling the Empire State Building - the Demos
Always the daunting adventure that can cause vertigo, during the session we deliver a number of live demos. Fortunately, the demo gods looked favorably down upon us, and the demos went off mostly without a hitch.
The set of demos include:
- An example AP News+Google Maps Mashup from the consumer web, to illustrate the concept of a Mashup
- Several Enterprise Mashup demos built using WLP 10, hosted on the WLP Playground
- Publishing Google Gadgets with WLP 10
- Using simple approaches to inject WLP portlets into legacy web applications and Mashups
- BEA Ensemble assembling Enterprise Mashups (demo movie here)
- Adobe Flex interactive application, an insurance website
- Building an Adobe Flex application using BEA Workshop, find out more at http://flex.org/java
Your Toolbox for Tackling Large Apes, and Enterprise Mashups
In addition to the demos, we discuss a variety of technologies you will need to understand to be successful in your Mashup implementation. Although we don't deep dive in any one technology, we look at code snippets and provide examples where we can.
- Client Programming Stack #2: Adobe Flex
- REST APIs
- Google Gadgets and iGoogle
King Kong Captured on Film
To prove dev2dev TechDays is real and not imaginary, I was able to snap a few pictures of the event:
King Kong captured on film, bewildering spectators.
Todd Ruhl, defying the demo Gods with his Flex demo.